Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Behind The Lies - Political satire song

I haven't recorded this yet, but here is the get-up: Large, beefy, white midwestern male, wrap-around shades, camo/baseball hat, obscure insignia on black jacket - kind of the Blackwater mercenary or CIA contractor look. Looking for volunteers.

Props:
1) Notebook, to be prominently displayed in the middle of the second stanza, titled "Detainee # 4519 - Actionable Intelligence"
2) Plier, preferably bloody, ideally with fake nail in teeth
3) Salivated bandanna used as gag piece
4) Baton - policeman's, not cheerleader's

To be sung, ominously, to the tune of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" :

BEHIND THE LIES

No one knows what it's like
to be the bad cop
To be the sad cop
behind the lies.
No one knows what it's like
To be hated, to be fated to hearing only lies.

But your screams, they aren't as empty
As my notebook seems to be.
I have hours, Oh my lovely
Torture is vengeance
There’s never peace.

You don’t know what it's like
To have your nails pulled, like I’ll do to you
and I blame you!
You can bite as hard as you want
on your gag-piece
None of your blood and guts can fall through.

Father’s dreams, they weren't as empty
As Geneva Convention seems to be
We have hours not so lonely
Torture is freedom,
which is never free.

When your fist clenches, I’ll crack it open
Before I lose it and use my tool.
When I smile, you’ll know it's bad news
Because I’ll laugh and watch you drool.

And if you tell me anything actionable
I won’t put my finger down your throat.
And if you shiver, I’ll give you a blanket
Keep you warm, let you wear my coat.

You don’t know what its like
To be mistreated, subjugated.
Don’t be telling lies!
You don’t know how to say
That you're sorry, but don't worry
I’ll stop you telling lies.

And your screams, in a room as empty
As your future seems to be.
I’ll have had hours, Oh so lovely
Torture is terror
There’s never peace.

You don’t know what it's like to be the bad cop
To be the sad cop
behind the lies.

No comments: