Saturday, September 26, 2009

Dear Miss Manners

Dear Miss Manners, Some years ago, before an impending visit from my sister-in-law, I asked for your opinion on a most divisive and tendentious matter that would always ruin our family's Thanksgiving and Christmas reunions - namely, whether toilet paper rolls should be hung with the loose end against the wall or hanging free in front. I don't recall your answer, but I was proven right. Thank you for having brought peace to our family gatherings.

After all these years, the above-mentioned sis-in-law is finally again going to lend her presence to a family gathering and I fear another important and potentially contentious issue coming up: Should you serve yourself butter by scraping with the knife across the top of a stick in the butter-dish (my opinion) or slice a piece off the end (her unbelievable and unsupported opinion!)?

Lonely Cougar in Amherst, NY

No comments: