Wednesday, December 7, 2011
If nothing else, please re-post, maybe one of your friends who does have more time can contribute.
On that first day, we took along a massive potful (The 2.5 G pot) of Poha: rice flakes cooked with onions and some very simple spices and a 2 lb. bag of mixed frozen veggies; and the apple sauce that Maya and Elsa made by themselves, from scratch.
I had promised to take them along the boardwalk for some fun activities after that, but they ended up staying two hours and helping Meagan sort the bread, organize the kitchen and distribute evening snacks walking around through the camp. In the meantime, I picked up staples from them and also did some organizing - I know my place is the kitchen.
This is the food I took along on the second trip:
That evening, this was the sign we saw on the Organization tent: HOW TO GET INVOLVED
2. OFFER YOUR SKILLS (you never know what they may need)
3. TEACH A CLASS OR WORKSHOP
5. DONATE FOOD
6. DONATE SUPPLIES (paper plates, disposable cutlery, bowls, cups, board games, paper towels, foil ...)
7. DONATE BOOKS
8. SPREAD THE WORD (which is what I am doing, so please FB share or send the link)
10. SPEND SOME TIME HERE W/ YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY (you have no idea how morale-boosting this is for the people in camp, particularly the ones organizing and keeping things together, they ENJOY the opportunity to chat!, and seeing children in camp - the first day we went to Occupy Oakland Snow Park, Maya and Elsa started this madcap raucous screaming banshee game of freeform tag, many adults joined in, and it suddenly brought huge smiles and laughter to a pretty morose camp, it was the kind of game that people could see that anybody could join without waiting to be asked, without rules, if you unknowingly broke one, you were just corrected or not and the game went on! it also provided a safe way for physical contact.)
11. BRING YOUR OWN IDEAS AND CREATIVITY TO THIS MOVEMENT. (see above!!!)
On a sadder note, the kitchen had been threatened and cleared out, no food had come in for a couple of days and they were all out: